I was all set to have my daughter start at the public kindergarten here but something just didn't feel right, so I decided to look into a private option, primarily because while I think my daughter would academically be more than fine in K, she makes the cutoff by just a few days and socially she is very shy and has a lot of anxiety in large group settings.

At the ninth hour (i.e. last week), I applied to a private school near us and had her tested (requirement for application). She was accepted into the program, but for preK, not K because their cutoff is earlier. The preK is full-day, five days a week though.

I'm not sure what to do. I was leaning towards the private option because though it's pricey, it's a smaller class size and there is much more individualized instruction happening. This school has a reputation for being academically "rigorous" so their preK is more like a K, K is more like 1st, etc. I think their teaching is very hands-on, open-ended and investigative/exploratory, which would be good for my extremely inquisitive daughter.

However, I received her test scores a couple of days ago that seem to indicate that she is performing above grade level. Would it be a mistake to enroll her in preK rather than K? Or does it really matter that much as this age? Also, I'm not sure how I should interpret her test scores, how significant is a 99.9% at this young an age? I'm thinking it's too early to mean much at all.

What should I do? Am I just being an over-protective first time kindergarten parent? Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited by HelenC; 08/13/13 10:20 PM. Reason: brevity, sorry new to this