I agree - it sounds as though you're doing everything right already - simply follow your ds' lead, he isn't going to "miss out" on anything. It's great that he loves loves loves to have you read to him - read! read! read! As tired as your voice is now, you may miss these times a few years down the road when he's interested in other things smile And (jmo) - personally I think in those early years the *love* and warmth and sense of security your child soaks up by sitting with you while you read to him means ultimately much more in terms of who they are going to develop into as an adult than whether or not they do calculus early smile

Like Quantum, with my EG ds I have no idea when he actually started reading - no one bothered letting me know, including ds. Like your ds, he just wanted us to read read read to him before he started school. He also memorized books but didn't seem to have any interest in learning how to read. The year he was in kindergarten I didn't know he'd already learned how to read until we visited relatives over Christmas break and they told me! By the end of kindergarten he was reading well well weeellll beyond grade level, with no formal instruction from anyone. Later on in his growing up years, I asked him how he learned to read and why he didn't bother telling anyone. He told me he was motivated to get to the highest level of books in his kindy classroom so he just worked through them, and then he was done. He never thought it was all that interesting of a thing to bother telling us about and he also enjoyed just a little bit not letting us know - I think because he thought we might stop reading to him if he *did* know how to read. FWIW, I still read to him when he lets me smile

Re testing - if you look at CTY and it's something you're interested in, you can (or at least you used to be able to) enroll a young child (I think younger than 2nd grade) without proof of formal testing. Your child still has to sign up to take the SCAT and pass the cut-off bar on that score to be able to enroll in CTY courses (or at least I think you do - there might be courses any student can enroll in.. not sure)... but the SCAT isn't hugely expensive and it's not a long (time) test. My older ds had qualifying scores when he joined CTY but my dd who is now 9 was only 7 when we enrolled her and she hadn't ever had any formal testing at that point.

With our kiddos, we found that just exposing them to a lot of fun, interesting, creative things when they were little (and still willing to go with us to whatever we suggested) was just as intellectually stimulating for them as enrolling them in any kind of course. Trips to the museum, art in the backyard, going on hikes, PBS videos (Nature, Nova etc)... those all spawned lots of great conversations with deep thoughts.

Best wishes,

polarbear