My 7 yo is in a G&T class this year and they are going to do a math assessment soon to determine their math level. The frustrating part is the teacher is just going to use the end of the year 2nd grade math assessment from Everyday Math. I really don't feel this is an accurate way to assess a student's math ability but that is a whole 'nother issue. Also since our school is big on "we don't want gaps" with math the teacher said she will probably have them all on an accelerated 2nd grade math curriculum.

Dd has yet to be accelerated in math. We don't do anything out of school except for maybe the occasional challenge story problem to get her thinking. I do know that in 2nd grade Everyday Math they learn/are expected to know what median, mode, and range are. This is something dd hasn't been exposed to so she would have no clue as to how to answer this.

So my question is should I give her a quick lesson as to what these terms are? Or should we go in completely 'blind' and just see how she does?

Last edited by mountainmom2011; 08/07/13 10:52 AM.