I'm hoping there's some people who've experienced what's being recommended for my DS and have some words of wisdom. Last year in 4th grade, he completed 5th grade math. He's been taught at one grade level above in math since 3rd grade (not at all unusual at his school). In evaluating his ERB results, the school has finally gathered that he's not being challenged in math. They're recommending he join the 7th grade Algebra A class (this will where they offer Algebra 1 over two years of middle school so they can go at a slower pace).

There is no doubt he is strong in math and he has consistently been frustrated with the pace of his math classes. The ERB results showed 99% through pre-algebra concepts which is why they're making the recommendation.

I am really concerned that this is a huge leap - surely there will be some gaps from skipping 6th grade math and Prealgebra? Has anyone done it? Where did you find the biggest problem areas. The school uses Saxon if that makes any difference.

I'm also concerned about the age gap. DS is only 9 (he's the youngest in 5th grade - I'm having a hard time picturing him with 7th graders).