amazing.

i have never discussed my kid properly with her GP - i have always felt implicitly discouraged from telling the truth about DD's physical & emotional development/state of mind. aside from the time we went to see her at 7 months, and DD walked (unassisted) down the hall to the office, we have had zero conversations about milestones/ issues/ concerns. the doctor does the physical exam, makes her notes - and that's it. she has, of course, been very careful to note that "they all even out in the end." (if i had a nickel...)

the closest a medical practitioner has ever come to being straight with me was the pediatrician we saw for DD's (giant) hemangioma. at 4 months, she was sitting upright on the exam table when he arrived in the room, and he said, "WHOA. that's a neat trick for 4 months - when did that start?" i really wish he had talked to me more about what that might mean in the context of all the other early observations - i really would have been better prepared.

so thank you for the articles, all! i know i will need them down the line - the issues are becoming much more complex every day.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.