Thanks everyone for your input. I knew I could count on this board for some helpful information. I took it all to heart. My DD has been reading Guardians of Ga'Hoole series and Wolves of the Beyond during first grade and they can be intense and violent (many battle scenes in Guardians), but they are animal based so I wasn't sure how she would deal with supernatural creepiness. She found the first Harry Potter book to be exciting, and said it was less intense than other books she had been reading. Some of the later books sound a little disturbing. She is the kind of child who can worry about existential things (oh how I know what that is like) but tends to be very upbeat and doesn't get bogged down by negative emotions so I think she could shake off something disturbing fairly quickly, but I think we will hold off on the later books. It sounds as though book 2 would be perfectly fine though.

She reads very, very fast and I just don't have the time and interest to read them at her pace right now.

Last edited by TwinkleToes; 07/19/13 03:54 AM.