So, we finally went ahead and scheduled a neuropsych eval for DS9. We have been struggling for years to figure out what is going on with him and I am very hopeful that we will get some clarification. I am specifically concerned that he has been complaining of headaches at school which he says are a result of having to listen and pay attention to boring things the teachers say. In first grade he had regular meltdowns (but only in a particular classroom) and his teacher last year complained that he would wander the room when he should be working and always put in minimal effort in his work (his gifted and accelerated math teachers, however, did not experience this). He resists writing, I suspect dysgraphia. He also reads well above grade level (not sure exactly how high since they don't test beyond 5th but based on what I've seen him read at least 3-4 grades above that) but rarely reads for pleasure (which is so strange to his bookworm mom!).

I guess I am just looking to hear other people's experiences with these evaluations. How useful was it? Did it clarify what issues were going on? Did it give you something concrete to bring to the teacher/school in order to get a more appropriate learning environment for your child? What exactly do they test for? I am looking forward to hopefully getting some answers but also anxious about what those answers might be, iykwim?!