Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It's not that I'm uncomfortable with the high ability of the children featured... it's that I look at some of what gets reported as anecdote by parents and think "um, that MIGHT not mean what you think it means... and even if it does..." I'd have told anyone who wanted to know that I was going to win a Nobel Prize and wow Carnegie Hall, back when I was an EG and enthusiastic 15yo. Part of the reason was basically some naivete, which was certainly charming in its own way, my youthful hubris aside, but I'm sure glad that nobody seriously held it as an expectation-- or wrote it in the newspaper. I also said a few things that sounded perfectly plausible and very avante garde to the adults around me... but which, upon reflection from more than 3 decades out, were actually not that brilliant or even thoughtful-- just incomprehensible to those around me. I can say that, though, because I know their genesis, being the one inside my head. Nobody but me knew that it was just talk and wasn't going anywhere because I just wasn't THAT interested. Or committed. Whichever. I'm naturally a dilettante. I can admit that now, but it's probably not something to actively reward in most teenagers. wink

Have I told you how much I love you? It's because you're so me. smile

As a dilettante teenager, I was going to be a world-famous lawyer AND go and train with the Ninja grandmaster in Japan. I'd really hate if that had been published somewhere as a serious ambition for my later mortification. My senior book notwithstanding.