MON, thank you for those ideas! It helped me see outside of the box an realize that we have to go in with a creative mind. He loves writing but it has mostly been non fiction. A few months ago he got this idea about a zoo that would cover all of the world and wrote a 5000 word description of it on the computer. This was the first time he really wrote about something different than facts. It was nice to see the creativity come out. I think we should try to build on that although lately he has gone back to non fiction writing about dinosaurs. He is so driven and determined that there was never any use to try to guide him into something he was not interested in at the time.

I WILL ask him what he would like to do and present it to the teacher. As far as spelling I am not sure what they will do.Is it possible to ask for the spelling list of grade 8 instead of grade 1?? He loves words and I think he would thrive on it!

As far as math, it was suggested to us that EPGY would be a great program. Anybody have any experience with this? They are doing Singapore math until 5h grade at his school which seems like a big waste of time to me. EPGY might be an idea.We would have a tutor come in for math class. The Lower school principal agreed to that although this was before we had EPGY in mind. We were discussing doing Singapore math with a tutor.

Thank you for your replies and ideas!