Originally Posted by Mana
I have mentioned this in a PP but I spent every summer battling ear infections as a child and I think that led to my learning problems. I have all the tell-tales signs of CAPD, I can't spell to save my life, and I'm quite ADHD (that one probably has more to do with genes than ear infections but having both sure makes life harder).

When I told DD's pediatrician that I'm not letting her swim to reduce the risk of ear infections, I thought he was going to lecture me about being an overprotective mom but to my surprise, he was completely supportive. I don't know why we don't get warnings about the long-term (life-long, really) damages ear infections can cause as new parents.

Yes--My older son had ear infections from the time he was 9 months old until he was 3 or 4. He has pretty significant learning and attention issues. My younger son had exactly one ear infection when he was 4. He has no learning or attention issues. *I* had lots of ear infections as a child and I see now that I had learning and attention issues similar to my older son. Still do, in fact.

A huge difference between the way the older one and the younger one were raised--the older one was breastfed for only 4 months and went to "preschool" starting at 17 months. The younger one was breastfed for 8 months and was home until he was 3.