I'm in another part of the country, so haven't heard of that center. However, I would say that of the various activities--including OT, social skills groups--vision therapy has done the most to help my son. He first did some when he was 6-7. Before the vision therapy, he could not catch a ball, could not ride a bike, and could not look directly at a camera for a picture. The VT optometrist prescribed "prism glasses" which we soon began calling "magic glasses" because within two weeks he could do all of the above. He also did the spinning tabletop with sounds. I'm not sure exactly why, but it did help his eyes move side to side better. At age 9 he had a checkup we needed to do more work--he had developed double vision and his brain was beginning to ignore it. This time he was prescribed glasses and weekly exercises at home. We were very consistent with the exercises and they have helped. The double vision is gone, and now he can jump rope! And put together a puzzle! These certainly aren't things required for future success, but I interpret them to be representative of skills that most of us take for granted and interfere with our lives in a variety of ways. When the brain has to spend extra energy interpreting stimulation, it takes away from its ability to do other things. Plus, there are major aspects of social development that relate to our physical abilities.

I also was a skeptic at the beginning because of reading various debates online. During the first appointment, the optometrist had DS close his eyes and then try to touch a bell that she rang. He couldn't touch it. No big deal, I thought. His eyes are closed. But if his senses had been working properly, he should have been able to reach out and touch it. I could touch it no problem with my eyes closed. When she put the prism glasses on my son, he could close his eyes and touch the bell. OK, I thought, this time it was just luck. But when the doctor put the prism glasses on me, I couldn't find the bell. I distinctly heard it right in front of me and when I opened my eyes, it was to the right. It was one of the most surreal experiences of my life because in that moment, I couldn't trust what my senses had told me. The doctor explained that even with our eyes closed, we are perceiving light through our eyelids and that perception should line up with the information coming in through our ears. For me, it does no problem, and the prism lenses bent light in a way that interfered with my senses. My son, however, needed the prism lenses to bend the light so that his senses could sync up. Once they did sync up, the brain builds the new pathways, and he no longer needs that prescription of glasses. This dramatically affected his balance, ball catching, directing his eyes for a camera, making eye contact in general, etc.

EVeryone has to evaluate what's going to best help their child, but I can say that as weird and new-agey (that's exactly the phrase I used to describe the exercises) the VT sounds, it definitely produced lasting results for our son. Hope that helps.