Originally Posted by Ellipses
I miss the library and school programs. My DD is 15 - almost 16 now. I just wanted to join in. My daughter and I are doing our second Mother/Daughter book - "Joy Luck Club". We are going to study China and concubines (not something I'd do with a younger child).

We are going to watch the movie and also "Raise the Red Lantern". This is the way we celebrate books now at her age.

Yes!!

DD loves Amy Tan-- are you enjoying it?

As for tracking reading-- I made up a notebook that I kept with a box when DD was younger-- she simply put in what she had finished reading. A couple times a week (er-- when the box got full, basically), I'd record the ISBN, title, pages, estimated reading level, and genre of the book.

We never tracked TIME because of how fast she reads, and frankly, the volume. She topped many THOUSANDS of pages each month for the years that I kept track of it. I stopped doing it by the time she was seven, but I still have the records.

She's read all but a handful of the Newbery books (honorees as well as winners) and those mostly because they are out of print. That was a goal one year.

I had to laugh about the plastic cockroach. Oh my gosh, my DD would come home with some of the weirdest things from the library's program. LOL. laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.