Hello,
Earlier this year i asked, and people on here helped me think about, a grade skip for my son. He ended up skipping yr two (ie yr 1 to yr 3) at the start of the calendar year (in Oz). So he has been in yr 3 for about 5 months now.
I am wondering how others have found their children progress academically and otherwise after a grade skip. Do they float to back to near the top of the class by the end of the first year after the skip?

He has made a couple of really good friends, so that is great. They are both lovely boys- and also bright and sporty. Yeah.
He is doing ok in class- his teacher says above average in maths and science and about average in English. She says that he could do much better in English but he still isn't really trying (which was one of the things we hoped the grade skip might force him to do). I went and did reading groups with his class yesterday and i found it a bit disturbing. He is now in one of the middle reading groups and the work was less challenging than the advanced work he was doing in yr 1 (with a little group of like minded kids). His teacher was saying maybe she needs to highlight that if he works harder he could move up to the group his friends are in.

Also, it was his running/track carnival at school today and whilst he was always very physically able in his old class he now doesn't want to compete because he has to compete against kids up to 2 years older than him. Makes me sad for him and worried that he will always be in this position.

I guess i am wondering how long it has taken other children in this position to 'catch up' in their new class. This matters at my son's school in particular as they do seem to throw more resources at this little top group and i think it becomes a self-fulfilling situation.
Any thoughts appreciated.
HHBELLA.

Last edited by hhbella; 06/11/13 06:52 PM.