Dottie,
I am asking about this :

Re: Math Book [Re: LMom]
CFK

Loc: Thankful it's almost summer! Dottie (because I know you are the possessor of many math books!)

What do you think of the AoPS Algebra book compared to others you have? I'm considering enrolling DS in the June AoPS Algebra class but would really like to see the text first. There is a discount if you buy the text at the same time as enrolling so I don't want to waste money by ending up doing both at separate times. I'm looking for indepth but with minimal repetition.

I'm with Cym, the math curricula at our school is just not as rigorous as we would like. The school is using SAXON Algebra right now of which I'm not a big fan.

Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote Notify Email Post

#13746 - April 14, 2008 17:10 Re: Math Book [Re: CFK]
Dottie

Loc: Working off the "fat" part... Ask me again in a few weeks CFK! LOL! Seriously...I'm familiar with DD13's book (very weak) and my college algebra (tough language) version, and was hoping for something in between. AoPS seems to be just that. There are some sections available for previewing on their website that give you a nice flavor.

If I use the college book, I'll be doing a lot of "work" and giving lessons to DS. With the AoPS, I'm hoping he'll read most of the actual lessons. I like the writer's style, and right away he's joking about how in just a few chapters they can break the previous rules, and take the square root of a negative number. From the very little I've read so far, it truly seems to be more indepth book written for children (the college book is clearly not written for children!) It's not a children's book by any stretch, so don't get that impression, but rather an engaging read for the young GT mind.

But in a few weeks, I'll definitely have a more thought out response.

Despite my own math background, I can really only speak well on books I've become aquainted with in the last few years (forgetting about the 20 year break!) At the moment, algebra is a personal "hole" for me in that area, so I'm not an expert by any stretch.