I understand an assessment to accelerate, but an assessment to continue? I don't know whether I am being paranoid, but my first thought was WTF. DS was assesed by the District GT office before he was accelerated to Pre-Algrebra this year(4th grade). He has received As every quarter and his teacher has consistently indicated that he is beyond the 5th graders who were selected to study Pre-Algebra. Mostly due to funding concerns, I sent an email to the GT office to inquire about the method of instruction for DS for next year since he will still be in elementary school while the other students in the program will be in middle school. My concern was a funding issue since they have to pay a teacher for DS one day a week. However, I was told that he will be assessed by the person in charge of math curriculum for our district and will proceed to Algebra in the same format as this year if he passes. They already have Explore scores (ceiling) and MAP scores (above 95% for 10th graders) as well as the straight As. What the hell is there to assess? If he "fails," then is he suppose to repeat Pre-Algebra even though he received straight As? After the previous acceleration, they didn't need to assess him to conitnue with his class so I really did not see this coming. It's not that I think he would fail, although I have no idea how they plan to assess him. I am trying to stay cool and maintain my SOP, but this is kind of irritating and I don't know whether I should mention it to DS that he will be assess next week. Anybody have any thoughts?