My DS3 is able to sound out cvc words phonetically. I would write several words on a page in a notebook and he would be happy to do it. In fact, he would remind me if we hadn't done his words yet for the day. However, as we moved on to simple books he seems to have become intimidated by them. We have done some Bob books and Starfall books and he has successfully read them but each time complaining about it. It has now reached a point where he simply refuses to do any reading anymore stating it's too hard or I don't like it - even though he has already proven that he can do it! This is a boy who knew over a dozen sight words at 18 mos old. He has also been accepted into the preschool program at a gifted school for next year. It is not due to a lack of ability. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Btw, I also have a DD7 who is very accomplished academically. Is it possible DS is afraid of looking like an underachiever in comparison? I would really appreciate any ideas on how to make reading fun for him again. I have tried stckers and rewards but they don't seem to work anymore.