Now that DS is 6 we are thinking of getting him tested, to have results available if we (as we hope to) move midyear to an area with more school choice.

Reading the descriptions of the wisc iv subtests it looks like he might a hard time with coding due to fine motor issues. He tires fast when writing and is a perfectionist, wants to erase. He has legibility issues and has trouble making things a correct size. He's on the other hand surprisingly fine (probably low average) with activities that just use fingers.

Apparently cancellation is an alternative to coding that is a little less dependent on pencil skills?

When a subtest is "substituted" do they actually administer both subtests and then substitute scores, or do they truly substitute one for the other in the administration? I don't want him to essentially have to do nearly double the writing.

How affected do fine motor skills need to be before it's recommended to substitute a test? Is there a feeling that coordination is to some extent part of what's being assessed in processing speed? I can see it from that perspective, that one way to view processing speed is a test of the global ability to absorb info, process it and produce a basic level written communication. In which case perhaps I shouldn't be considering asking for a substitution.

Or is it more that the processing speed score is supposed to represent purely the mental processing aspect and fine motor skills are not really supposed to be being tested. Perhaps the level of pencil skills they are asking for is set at such a low percentile that they assume the instances poor fine motor skills would spoil the result are too few to worry about?

We are in an area where most kids being tested will be having it done to assess learning disabilities. My guess is the tester will be reluctant to or unaware that they can alter their typical administration for my child as overall he appears relatively advanced. Is there some reference somewhere that says under what conditions to substitute? (that I could show them, if indeed it's relevant?)Should he have a note from his OT? or pediatrician?

Thanks,

Polly