I agree with the article and will read the book. We noticed a dramatic change in our DDs stress level after changing her learning environment from school to home. She was becoming very stressed about math. After bringing her home and approaching it in a less stressful way she has completely changed her attitude about math and is really speeding through stuff. I think stress can play a major role in learning. Some stress is beneficial if it is productive.

When the stress is breaking down confidence then it is time to step in. With our DD the change has been huge she is approaching much harder material and embracing it. I think the adults facilitating the learning play a big part in setting the tone for a child. If a child feels supported they will be able to and want to take on more and will not feel as much stress. If a child is not feeling secure or feels pressured even easy things can seem hard. This can be frustrating when a child seems to be underperforming but if it is stress related it is always better to work with the child and let them know they are supported. Every child will eventually need reassurance and when they get it they will always perform better.

Adults also perform better and choose to take on more when they feel like they are doing a good job! Sometimes it seems like so much is expected from these highly gifted children it is hard to remember that although they are very smart and may be doing amazing things it is important to respect the fact that they are children that need the same love and support as a typically developing child, sometimes more as they can be so very sensitive.

Great teachers can pick up on subtle changes in emotion and attitude and adjust these things right away without having to formally address it. This is a skill that I am not sure can be taught although a good understanding of neurology would be helpful. A teacher who has this ability is very valuable and can figure out the rest. Children who experience this kind of environment will develop a resilience that stays with them once they are past a certain age. For very young gifted children this is critical. Unfortunately there is not much available in schools for young gifted children.

Most have a very hostile experience in early elementary for a variety of reasons and then are sent the message that their worth is based on performance. This is why some children seem to lose their enthusiasm and become stressed. A stressed child is in danger of losing their intrinsic motivation to learn and this can be a hard thing to get back. I wish there were more programs for young gifted children that understood and respected their age and also challenged them in a way that did not cause stress.
Basic child development practices can be used and adapted to meet the needs of HG and PG children, but teaching them in a group may require ear plugs for everyone. Just kidding, I meant lots of flexibility. The examples in the article of swing math were a good example of this. I would be interested to know if anyone has tried this, teaching a group of young, pg/hg kids and how that worked out. Great article on stress!