I agree that misdiagnosis is a definite problem in identifying things like ADHD in children. Unfortunately until science comes up with a way to definitively, objectively test for mental illnesses, we're stuck with what we have. When my daughter was diagnosed (AS, GAD) there were no doubts in my mind the diagnoses were right on. If there was doubt, I would have pursued it further. (Been there, done that, bought the shirt when she was younger and went from pneumonia to cystic fibrosis, enough said.)

I do think however, there can be measurable impairment with psychological issues, the only problem is, therapy or medication is needed to see the improvement. Until we tried the other avenues and went to medication, there was little visible improvement. When she started the meds, improvement was almost immediate. Relatives, friends, teachers, all commented within a week that they could see a major difference in her anxiety and irritation levels. I wish there HAD been a way to tell without the meds, but unfortunately none of us have a crystal ball.