What a bummer!! I agree, it sounds as though for whatever reason, there is a real communication failure between this teacher and your child. It is also possible that there is a period of adjustment happening in which your child is learning many of the unwritten 'rules' within the school system that he's now in. It does sound as though this kind of inquiry-led model is a genuine gifted class, though-- I'm assuming that this is an "honors elective" or something similar, and that it is pretty open-ended in terms of assignment guidelines. Many children find that difficult to adjust to at first. I mention that only to let you know that if you haven't yet tried talking to the teacher and asking for (as opposed to demanding) an explanation of what grading/course performance and assessment reflect, I would. You're new to the system. For all you know, your DS' classmates have seen this kind of elective for the past three years already.

We've been there with communication issues and a particular, no-way-to-make-him/her-happy teacher who seemed to LIVE to nitpick my DD to death. It was so frustrating for my DD to try-and-try-and-try to fix HER end of things, only to come up short because there was no real acknowledgment that communication problems generally require BOTH parties to flex to fix them.

On the other hand, I do think that my DD13 has gotten something valuable from the experience, and I don't regret it, in hindsight. She has learned that with persistence and careful study of the problem, she CAN flex her own style sufficiently to deliver what the person needs/wants, even if it means doing things in ways that she would NOT ordinarily do them.

I think that is probably a good life skill to be learning, even if the lessons are difficult emotionally. Better now than in high school, right? At least it doesn't come with a penalty on a transcript that a college will see.

I do understand that some teachers are just plain toxic for some kids. But I'm not seeing that level of dysfunction in what you've posted. I do understand how frustrating this situation is, though.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.