Welcome griffinsmom - I'll second the suggestion to read the posts that bronalex linked for you smile

I'd also recommend that you ask that the school calculate a GAI in place of the FSIQ - the GAI takes WM and PSI subtests out of the calculation, and is thought to be a more reliable indicator of IQ among high-IQ kids, and it's most definitely used by at least some school districts in place of FSIQ for WISC scores for entry into gifted programs. Our ds has a questionable FSIQ due to a similar pattern of significantly lower PSI and slightly lower WM than his PRI and VIQ (and his PRI and VIQ vary as well)... and his psych reports etc *always* list GAI. He also has difficulty with organization and multi-tasking.

The scatter you see in the scores you posted could indicate an LD, as bronalex mentioned. I am not as familiar with ADHD, but I believe that it's also somewhat typical to see a lower PSI and WM in children with ADHD. Was this testing done before or after your ds went on meds for ADHD? I'm thinking it must have been before (during diagnosis)? If it was before he went on meds, I'd wonder if some of his lower subtest scores might improve now that he's on meds (which seem to be working well)... otoh, I seriously don't know enough about ADHD to even ask that question... just curious smile

You asked if anyone can help you understand why the coding and digit span are so low - the thing to do is to find a description of each subtest to understand the skill being tested and the parameters - how are the questions asked, how is the student expected to respond (handwriting vs oral response etc), and is the test timed. You can then try to think through how that might tie in with observations you've made re your ds, and you'll also likely get a few of us here who will attempt to offer up suggestions re what the scores *might* mean... but the best way to know for sure (imo) is a neuropsych eval - the neuropsych will typically follow up a set of results like this with a secondary set of tests that look at executive functioning, fine motor skills, visual motor integration etc - and it's those tests that can give you the answer *why* are the discrepancies there and why are they so large. I'm wondering if there's any chance your ds might have had some of those type of tests through the neurologist? Did he have testing other than the WISC? And was there any kind of achievement testing? For kids with this type of scatter in IQ subtests, you'll sometimes see scatter with meaningful patterns in achievement subtests too - where the lower scores on the achievement testing correlate with the skills tested in the lower WISC subtest scores.

Last piece of advice - find out everything you can, but don't stress out over what you find. Some children here have that dip in processing speed and working memory and soar through school with no indications of any type of discrepancy. Others clearly have impacts on academics (my ds is one of those students) *but* with knowledge of why the discrepancy is present and understanding how it relates to the difficulties experienced in school, you can most likely find accommodations (and remediation if necessary) that will allow your son to soar in school and will allow him to participate in gifted programs.

Best wishes,

polarbear