I just want to pipe in on this one. We too got a shock with my DS Explore results at age 11. He was in GT language art program that was really strong program. His Reading and English scores didn't surprise but his Math scores did. He had been totally grade level up to that point. I would encourage you as Cricket said to really feel out his level of opposition. My DS was 100% against skipping grades. He had to many close friends and activities he was unwilling to part with.

We approached the school for subject acceleration in Math and later Science. He is already in an accelerated LA program. The regular class in higher grade would have been a step backwards for him. He has since skip 2 years of math, 1 of science and compacted curriculum both subjects. He is dual enrolled in middle school and high school. Now that he is at the high school and has made a lot friends, he may have had a different opinion about skipping. He is happy with his set up and has friends at both schools. The sort of radical subject acceleration with his age mates has worked for him. He should have been skip early before his friends and activities impact his view. We do have a school that has been supportive of him and helpful in making it all work for him. Each situation depends so much on the school you are working with and you child.

Is the school testing him? We got our private results the same day as testing followed by a written report a few weeks later. School results - we have always had to wait for the scheduled follow up meeting. Private testers vary in how quickly they give the results. Some seem to keep the poor parents waiting for a long time.