I'll share what we put in the portfolio for my DD. We applied when she was 5, a few months from turning 6, with achievement scores and portfolio first, and were given 6 months to submit more portfolio samples to clearly demonstrate she's working at the level they require. By the time we submitted more samples she had turned 6.

1st portfolio (This was not enough and we were asked for more)

• Several videos of her doing precocious things as a toddler
  • Some writing and drawings from age 2-5
  • one math worksheet done a few weeks before submission
  • 2 recent videos of her solving logic puzzles (no talking)

2nd portfolio (This was enough and she was accepted this time. Almost all of this was assigned by me or videoed just for this purpose.)
  • many pages of written responses to reading comprehension questions for a novel she read- found on a 5th grade teacher's website.
  • video of her reading 6 & 7th grade nonfiction passages aloud and also completing multiple-choice comprehension worksheets to go with them.
  • video of her working on math in EPGY and doing multi-step word problems in the 6th grade level of IXL, with me asking her questions to get her to explain her thinking aloud. Also screen shots of EPGY progress in both math and language arts/writing.
  • book list showing 300+ books read over the past year, mostly chapter books at least grade 3 level.
  • 2 videos of her talking about a couple of things that interest her, including some visual aids she made to explain the concepts.

Last edited by W'sMama; 04/19/13 10:17 AM. Reason: added age