Most of the community service activities in which my children participate are through our church. We do a variety of outreach activities in the community such as giving away dinners at Thanksgiving, handing out blankets and lunches to homeless people, and operating a food pantry and clothing closet. My dd often serves the valuable role of translator when we volunteer in community service activities.

As director of our elementary children's ministry, I feel that giving the children an active role in service projects is important. Before Spring Break our kid's raised money to provide Spring Breach lunches for the students at my dd's school who receive free and reduced lunches (over 70% of the student body). The kids did all the advertising by creating flyers and slides and by making the announcements at church. Once all the food was purchased, the children sorted the food into individual bags for distribution. Another church heard about what we were doing and decided to participate in the project. On the day we handed out the food at the school, there was enough for every student at the school with extra left over that was sent to a women's shelter.