Thanks, Cricket! Glad to hear that it the skip has gone so well for your DD and your review of EPGY. (Trying to get up to speed on all our options!) And, yes, my hope is to skip earlier, rather than later and surprise him with some learning. (He was just lamenting again tonight that he doesn't understand why he needs to go to school since "you're supposed to learn things there and the only things I ever learn are the things you help me with when I have questions." Need to fix that!)

To clarify, we had been planning to ask for the skip to 2nd and that he would go out of the classroom to third for math. Based on the testing and how it confirms our experience of him -- which is that he learns everything super quickly and retains it forever, we are now planning to ask for the grade skip AND a program such as EPGY for math, since it would seem he'd most benefit from individually paced, condensed learning, coupled with being up a grade.

(His teacher was able to work one-on-one with him for math for 5 or 10 min a day for a week when there was a student teacher and she's commented on (1) how they'd got up to 4th grade math concepts and he just seemed to grasp it intuitively and (2) that he came alive doing the work. Both of those comments, added to a separate comment about how she'd made about his lack of "conversational partners" in the classroom, have me convinced that we're on the right track with the skip. And, he's had only positive experiences going up for math, so I'm hopeful that he'd fit right in.

Anyway, thanks again for your thoughtful reply!