Originally Posted by kadru
ok thanks for the tips. Any recommendations on how to improve maths scores please i.e. materials etc.? She didn't study for this year either..just a couple practice tests to be familiar with the pattern. Also, we are in Michigan. Any idea if there is a state award criteria?

I don't really have any great ideas on improving math scores. When my older ds took the SAT in 6th, he scored high enough for the awards ceremony in reading, but not in math. Although his math score was very good, there were too many unfamiliar concepts for someone who did no preparation. There are many SAT/ACT prep books out there, though, and I'm sure any of them would provide the framework for what you need. My older son really likes his AoPS class (he is taking his first now and I highly recommend them) and we've done SAT website's "question of the day" for summer practice, which are also nice for reviewing concepts and just making sure everything is right there at their fingertips. I'm sure if your dd takes a few practice tests, you'll be able to see any areas where she needs help (relatively speaking, of course!). If you stick with the EXPLORE another year, she probably has all the math she needs to get everything right - just a matter of being careful.
I don't know about the Michigan program, but there is a contact number you can call through MSU:
http://gifted.msu.edu/programs/hats
It looks like it might be older kids, similiar to IL's state ceremony.