Ds will be in 4th grade next year. In our district, middle school starts in 6th, and the decision must be made by October of 5th, so it's definitely time to start considering our options for that placement. Basically, it comes down to the following two choices:

1. Advanced Academics Program at overall crappy, lower SES school with many behavior problems (not in the gifted program, but in the school as a whole). Ds would have all four core subjects (math, English, social studies, and science) with other advanced students, but he would be mainstreamed for foreign language, gym, one elective, and at lunchtime. I have had clients in this school and know that it has some problems with bullying and inappropriate behavior. This school requires an application, but there is no doubt about his ability to gain admission.

2. School without an identified "gifted program" but offering honors courses for advanced students. Much more pleasant environment overall. Closer to home (he could walk there with friends) and likely to draw the majority of the kids he knows from elementary and the neighborhood. Guaranteed placement as it is our neighborhood school.

I am thinking of going to meet with the principal of the neighborhood school and asking him about options for a gifted child. I know they are trying to build a program that, if less formal, will compete with the other school's AAP. Thoughts? The neighborhood school would be much more convenient, and he'd be surrounded by familiar faces-- generally polite and bright (if not gifted) kids. In the Advanced Academics Program, he would likely find more true academic peers and teachers who are very experienced in working with gifted (not just good) students, but the larger school environment leaves everything to be desired.