IEP is completed, and the kiddo is officially in gifted social studies and language arts with some accommodations on organization, spelling, written work and testing left in place - score one for walking in with knowledge of the law allowing kids to still have LD accommodations in a gifted classroom setting.

For math, we're keeping in him the regular class with the agreement that he will be tutored over the summer by my husband using the 7th grade gifted math curriculum. At the end of the summer, my son will have the option of either choosing to stay in regular math or asking to retest to acceptance into the harder class. We're all happy with this arrangement.

Funny aside - the social studies teacher actually requested a sub for his class so he could attend the IEP and make sure my kiddo got into the gifted class. He said it was a much better fit for my son and that it wasn't fair to the regular ed teachers to have a child who couldn't think inside of a box constantly disrupting the class and derailing the lesson with off-the-path conclusions that were a much better fit for the gifted classroom.

Thanks for the all the advice and suggestions - we'll be looking into the online/app options to supplement this summer!