Originally Posted by TheMamaLisa
His WISC IV test results took us off guard as he scored a general IQ of 153.

(aw, that's my number! what a cool kid! lol ;p ) ....honestly, skip him.

Mostly because he wants to. That's the key.

Fyi, my DS is 8 and in grade 3, and he wasn't skipped (he's in French Immersion instead) - so from my perspective starting 2nd grade as an 8 year old with an IQ of 153 seems really mis-matched. Our schools (BC, Canada) use a calendar year, so that means my Nov/bd DD started kindergarten when she was still four. Assuming the curriculum is similar, I'd say your poor DS has a really unlucky (school wise) birth date.

Given the fact that I had an anxiety-stricken four year old starting French Immersion KG and then an ADHD/language processing disorder/strabismus/partial CAPD five year old starting FI for KG as well, skipping wasn't really something I'd considered. In your shoes, though, I think I'd have skipped him already.

You do have some excellent points, though, about the parents and the other kids. It's rarely an easy decision.

Having never been skipped myself, I can tell you that it gets very isolating as you get older. It's really not fun being chronically bored, and wondering why all the other kids are "so stupid." You lose interest in connecting with people pretty quickly. I didn't enjoy school very much.

Anyway, that's just my experience. It might be different for your son. Good luck - I hope you find a solution that works smile