Note: If you are not familiar with SET, please see:
www.cty.jhu.edu/set

Val mentioned in another forum that SET is for children who are lightning fast. I guess this is why I picked up on SET, because my dc are lightning fast (unlike me), so much so that it is difficult to have a conversation with them about academics. They CAN'T seem to break things down into simple steps and have been getting a lot of flack from various teachers for that. I think it's that their mind makes such huge jumps that they literally can't figure out why the rest of us don't get it. I'm looking for a resource that can help us deal with the issues such as this, that arise when you are lightning fast.

Maybe it doesn't seem that this would be a serious issue, but it really is because it leads teachers to the wrong conclusions, and makes my dc feel like there is something so wrong with them because no one else (not even mom or dad) can understand them (sometimes).

For example, my dd was lucky to be in a school where they offer a challenge HW/test level in every classroom. She has to listen to the same lectures as the rest of the class, but then skip the usual homework assignment and quickly go off to the side to work on challenging problems (which are still not that difficult for her) with other students like her. However, the teacher continuously says she is not showing enough of her work and so he will not sign her off as having mastered the goals. If it continues, the teacher is supposed to make her go back to doing the usual homework assignments.

So, she is too far advanced for the teacher to even recognize, so he doesn't know how to coach her to write down more of her steps. IMO, it is not a good idea to make her write down more steps. She could grow up to write a graduate math textbook. Flip through one of those--there are hardly any explanations there because they assume by that stage the reader can fill in on their own.

I am hoping qualifying for SET will give us a resource to help dd navigate an educational system that just doesn't "get" her. I think she'll be ready to make her first attempt on the SAT to get the required minimum score of 700 in a couple of months. But I'd rather not do it if I don't have to.

What do you think? Am I on the right track? Should I be looking elsewhere?

"Normal can never be amazing." - Mini USA