DH and I went in to see ds6's principal today to ask for subject acceleration in math for next year.
The meeting was 8 minutes long. She found out what we wanted, said we could have it and she would figure out how to give it to him, then we chatted for a few minutes about other things and we went on our way.
Somebody pinch me!
So, ds6 will skip 1st grade math entirely. The principal will have his 1st grade teacher collaborate with a second grade teacher to coordinate math times and if that doesn't work out perfectly they will have the resource teacher come to him and teach him his math lessons on those days. The principal asked if ds would be uncomfortable going to another class or being in with older children, we don't think this will be an issue or if it is, we can worry about it when it happens. She didn't bring up 3rd grade and beyond, I think it was understood that ds will move on to the TAG school after 1st most likely.
YAY! Take heart, it does happen! Parents and schools can work together and there are administrators out there willing to go the extra mile!