Originally Posted by jaylivg
Well the school said that they want to have him tested for gifted program . I just didn't know if test for gifted program is the same with IQ test or not.

Different states/school districts set different criteria for their gifted programs, but it usually consists of some combination of ability and achievement tests. The key word there is ability... the term "IQ test" is seen as non-pc in some circles, because there's a history of racial bias behind those, so don't be surprised if you're not hearing that from the school. But that's basically what an ability test is... an IQ test.

I'm not saying don't test, but I can see three reasons why testing independently is unlikely to result in an acceleration of intervention:

1) It's March already. It's not seen by schools as a time to make drastic changes.

2) You're dealing with a bureaucracy. They tend to have prescribed rules they have to follow. So while they may appreciate your independent testing, they'll still be rule-bound to perform their own evaluation before they can act on the data.

3) There are a number of ability tests out there, so it's quite likely you'd end up using one they're not familiar with. And they'll still want him to take their test, so they can compare apples to apples.

The biggest benefit I could see to independent testing is to draw attention to his abilities so the school could start the process, but it sounds like they're already on board there. It also sounds like you have no reason to suspect there's an underlying disability, and no reason to suspect that he'll underperform on the school's assessment.