I've posted previously on DS9 with his emotional / behavioral issues. Met with the psychologist who analyzed him yesterday, and finally received a diagnosis.

He has a very high IQ - mid 140's. However, he is extremely single minded, focuses almost entirely on the details of a task and misses the big picture. Thus, he is very good at academic tasks, such as memorizing, math, etc. But, his ability to deal with unexpected outcomes, think flexibly, and see the forest to the trees is limited. No ADHD or autism spectrum issues though.

This would tend to explain his outbursts and how easily he gets upset when an event does not go his way. It also explains his problems with transitions.

Further, the psychologist diagnosed him with mild depression due to his low self-esteem, as well as anxiety. The anxiety diagnosis is the one we're going to use with the school to get them to accommodate his needs.

Things are starting to fall into place now. DS9 is gifted even among gifted kids. And his classmates, even the other kids in the gifted program, are a somewhat homogeneous group. They are all into sports and he is not. So, he doesn't fit in at all and probably believes that it is his fault.

I realize that this is the first step of a long process, but I'm feeling a little better now that we have something concrete to take to the school to show them that he's not just "a difficult child."