Thanks for the info on cluster grouping. I went to the Paradise Valley School District website and printed off some info that I brought to our meeting today with 2nd and 3rd grade teachers and principals. Didn't end up using it though, it wasn't relevant, they are still fine with ability grouping within classroom and even across grade philosophically; they ended the practice of "intervention teachers giving first time instruction" to kids. Problem is, they are not ability grouping across the grade anymore even though principal is still ok with it philosophically; and the ability grouping they're doing within the classroom isn't giving these kids the challenge they need now.

I gave up halfway through our meeting. We came up with some so-so "solutions" that aren't even worth bothering relating, and it was very clear to me that DS is going to be at grade level in math for the remainder of elementary school, despite starting K 2 years ahead in math two years ago, and that the teachers are well intentioned but are not giving the advanced kids the true level of challenge they need. After multiple meetings throughout the year on this topic and a principal and teachers who have been so willing to talk with us and try to find solutions, it's clear that the solutions I want - which are instruction ABOVE GRADE LEVEL for the advanced kids in this grade - are not going to happen. Instead, they will continue to get more "depth" on how to find umpteen ways to solve Everyday Math problems at grade level. No matter that they are capable of doing higher level math. I'm so disappointed and discouraged. Just venting.