Hello!

My brief story: I've been in a bit of "gifted denial" about my DS6, first grade. When his MAP scores came back to us in the fall that placed him in the average range for a fourth grader in math, I started to look at my son a little more closely. We always knew he was "gifted" but didn't know what that really meant in today's world and didn't understand that it would be best for him to advocate on his behalf. (DH is PG and I guess I'm at least MG, maybe more. DH had his PhD at 21 - he hated school and thought the whole experience was "useless". I did "well" in school but I now understand that making me the class tutor all through elementary and middle school was really not the best thing for me. So, my DH and I developed a disdain for the label "gifted" and thought that gifted programs were pretty useless...as they were for us when we were kids.)

So, I've put my toe in the water of acceleration at DS school. It was met with a lukewarm reception. DS school is a new charter school. In a lot of ways, this is great...they seem to be receptive to some modifications. But it is clear that it will not be easy for me to get these modifications...I will need to heavily advocate. Any advice before I dive in? I do have an excellent working relationship with the teacher and the school, at this point. We respect each other all around. I don't sense any hostility.

Specifically, I would like to advocate for my son to either: accelerate in math by 2 grades or allow a small group to form in his grade and bring in another teacher to teach the group. DS has just taken the WISC IV. I will get the results in a few weeks.

Thanks in advance!