I have an HGish dyslexic 16 year old with a June birthday. When he was in first grade they *very strenuously* urged me to hold him back. Instead, I decided to homeschool him. In a homeschool setting, he ended up starting high school coursework in 8th grade.

Fast forward to now. A few weeks ago I withdrew him from an IB program at the only private school in the area. He was getting mostly As and a few B+s, but he was extremely unhappy as IB as it is played out at this school is heavily humanities focused and he is a STEM person.

He is also young. So we're going to use this opportunity to let him incubate for a year before going to college. He will "repeat" his junior year at the community college and then go on to get an associate's degree in his area of interest.

My point here (since I'm quite sure this has rambled totally!) is that you should decide what is right for your son *now* and you can decide later if the placement is correct down the road. Just keep in mind that it is easier to undo a skip than it is to redo it. If the school he is in now will allow a skip redo, then I say go for it.