I went to observe the G&T class during math today and spoke to the teacher a bit. The teacher said she starts all the 2nd graders out on 3rd grade math with assessments to see what they don't know and works on that only. The class is a 2/3 grade split class and she had 5 different math groups she was differentiating so I feel hopeful that dd will get appropriate math instruction. They are also allowed to work at their own pace.

Overall, I just felt a good vibe and that it's a place that dd will feel more like it's a good fit for her.

I learned only one other classmate of dd's got in (a girl) so she will be joining other kids throughout the district and be starting fresh with friends. The G&T is cut off completely from the 2nd grade class, they don't share recesses or lunch and the classroom is on the opposite side of the school. I was a bit sad for her and the thought of her having to say goodbye to her friends but she seems to take it very well. I know she is unhappy in school and I guess she just understands that this is the way it has to be for her to get what she wants out of school.