I'm writing a book for gifted children. The working title is "what clever young people need to know". It focuses heavily (but not exclusively) on mathematics, computers, and physics. It is designed to dig in deep, but not broad, in those subjects and take the reader from only knowing basic algebra to The Cool Stuff. This is meant to increase familiarity with concepts not usually taught, build a conceptual framework of these fields, and inspire autodidactism (self teaching).

The book makes heavy use of outside material. Many topics are outlined in passing, but include search terms and links to wikipedia articles. There will be an extensive reading list (including history, philosophy, high-literature, and pleasure reading), with one short sentence about each work. Additionally free online resources are presented whereever possible, and low cost ones when not (Dover Publications has taken hundreds of my dollars, and saved me thousands).

There will also be a section on uncommon historical figures. I want to buck some trends in education. As an example I would talk (albeit very briefly) about Heaviside, Godel, and Erdos instead of Tesla, Edison, or Eintstein.

This sm�rg�sbord of content follows a chose a chose-your-own-adventure format: reading each section links to other sections, and each section has a list of required reading (prerequisites).

I am exceptionally gifted (IQ of +3.6 sigma). I was advanced a grade, but that did little to assuage the complications of asynchronous social development. I went to public school 1st grade and 6th onwards. I was homeschooled (in an abusive home) 2-5th grade. I had issues with social anxiety and depression, complicated by PTSD. I almost died from illness as a teenager. I dropped out of college and had the unlikely opportunity to work as a STEM teacher for 5 years (and I have a knack for it). I just went back to school as an undergrad for EE/CS, with an eye towards robotics (turns out most hiring managers don't know or care what autodidactism is).

For as long as I can remember my mother told me I was like a racecar in the garage: only in the last couple years have I gotten out of the garage and onto the open road. I want to provide a resource that will help people like my younger self realize their potential, and more smoothly transition into adulthood. The textbook aspects of it are intended to be, while indispensible in their own right, the bait to get the reader to consider my non-technical advice.

What would you be sure to put in such a book?