I homeschooled my then 5 yr old and 4 yr old. It was great initially but I got pregnant; morning sickness and fatigue took over and I just felt guilty all the time because I wasn't meeting my own expectations. and also once the novelty of it wore off for the kids, they kept wanting to do their own thing all the time and refused to work. My 4 yr old was a distraction to my 5 yr old; becaues they're so close to each other in age, they're best buddies which is great, but when it came to school time and my 4 yr old did not have any much to do or more play-like school work to do, my 5 yr old was too distracted to focus on his own work. I think you're smart to think about the potential problem of unclear school time vs play time. I tried to reassure myself by saying, OK so we're kind of transitioning to unschooling, I guess, which is fine ... but that wasn't really what I was doing. We were floundering. After a few months of struggling, I chose an online program that worked out great for us. My kid could learn at his own pace, the online school provided all the materials and structure we needed. Something for you to explore. smile Good luck!

Last edited by junior; 02/05/13 10:59 AM.