I don't have any research to provide, but just wanted to chime in with some personal experience. I am also a migraine sufferer, mine started around age 15 and I still get them. My DD got her first migraine when she was around 2 years old. Her pediatrician told me that they can be genetic and if one parent suffers from migraine's then the likelihood of the child having migraines is significantly higher.

When my DD had her first migraine, she was too young to really communicate to me what the problem was, but she started screaming like something was really wrong and this clear liquid squirted out of her nose. It scared me so badly, I took her into the ER to make sure everything was OK with her.

The ER did not diagnose it as a migraine and neither did her pediatrician at that time. Her next migraine happened when she was 4 years old and oddly, we were right outside the pediatrician office at the onset, so I took her in and the pediatrician got to witness the full onset and attack. At that time she told me that it was a classic migraine, she said even the clear fluid coming out of the nose is a huge symptom.

For children, the only remedy (and thankfully it seems to be effective) for a migraine is to give them Ibuprofin and let hem sleep for a couple of hours.

My daughter seems to want to sleep when she has one, so that is what I do and when she wakes up, they are usually gone. She has only had one other migraine when she was in Kindergarten. Her kindergarten teacher called me at home and said my DD started screaming in pain and clutching at her head and I needed to come and get her because they couldn't calm her down. I knew right away what it was and I went right up and got her home, gave her the Advil and put her to bed. When she awoke, two hours later she was fine.

Thankfully they are not frequent for her, but when they hit, there is no mistaking them.