Hello-

I'm looking for some insight into some "food behaviors" that DD10 (HG) has been having lately. She has always been tiny, and very picky about food textures, etc. I know that has to do with her sensitivity. She will say "I don't like ______" all the time. As parents, we eventually said, you have to eat anyway. If not, the kid would waste away to nothing. We have never been a "chicken nugget" family. We haven't ever given in to her refusals, just always insisted that she had to eat and try new foods.

Lately, she's been saying "I'm not hungry." She will pick and pick at her food. This happens almost every meal. She has always kind of been that way, never a big eater, but it has gotten much worse in the past few months.

I was very overweight, to the point that I was having health issues. Over the past year I have lost 52 lbs., and am now at a healthy weight. Throughout that process we overhauled our eating habits. There isn't much junk in our house anymore. We try to eat clean, less processed foods overall. Luckily the health issues went away! I have been very careful to not refer to vanity through all of this- Saying things like, "Mom is getting healthy. I had to lose weight to keep from being sick."

DD will, however, eat candy, junk food, etc., if she gets it at school. So, I'm not so sure what is playing into this. I would think if she was having body image issues she wouldn't eat cookies like it was going out of style.

Has anyone else had this happen with a sensitive tactile kind of kid? Did they turn it into a battle? How did you handle it? Should I worry about body image with her? Or do you think it's more that she doesn't like the changes that we've made and is rebelling? I do worry about her health. She is tiny anyway, and I worry about her getting enough nutrients.

Thanks-
Julie