Anyone done this, particularly as a residential camp?

DD9 has done a CTD online class (which required a lot of parent-provided structure), which she enjoyed and got a lot out of. Apogee is 3 weeks of full-time study on one topic, for kids who have completed 4th, 5th, or 6th grades, and is the more-advanced option for kids in that age group. DD will have completed 5th, so be in the middle grade-wise; she's grade-skipped and was young-for-grade originally, so will likely be at the young end age-wise.

There are two programs she's considering: Ancient Wars & Mythology (super-excited) and Pre-Algebra (super-excited before she said, "hey, do they have history, too?" Now a clear second choice.).

Last year's Ancient Wars session covered the Iliad and Aeneid. The Trojan War is one of DD's particular interests, and she already owns one of the books on the syllabus. This year's program may or may not have a heavy Greek focus, but it's likely to be a very good match for her interests. She's a fast reader; that plus the reading level / length of the books lead me to believe that she will have plenty of free time during evening study hours.

IMHO Pre-Algebra would kick her butt. It's normally a 7th or 8th grade class in our district; she's hoping to take it next year in 6th (and would take Algebra I instead if she did the CTD Pre-Algebra). Math doesn't come as intuitively to her as it does to some kids; she'll be fine in a standard school-year class (even with a pre-AP label) where the first few weeks are a quickie review of 6th grade basic math, but without that review, there's some chance that she will perceive herself as being way behind / hopelessly lost on the first day of class and will tailspin into anxiety.

This would be DD's first overnight camp; she has not been successful at sleepovers with friends. (We know to wait up for the midnight phone call from the parent who says that DD can't fall asleep even though everyone else has been out for hours.) DD has successfully slept over with extended family; "no one is driving you home, so you may as well go to sleep" works just fine. Chicago is a 2-hour flight or an 11-hour drive for us.

My concern is that the history class may be insufficiently rigorous for a kid who is *really* into the topic covered, and it won't keep her brain busy enough for her to be happy. OTOH, my concern is that the math class will be too rigorous for a kid with DD's level of preparation, and that it will be too stressful for her to be happy.