my DS6 has leaky gut, it is tolerated to a point...he is not lactose intolerant. i think some people confuse the 2? for him, after having cassein- you can almost time it to the behavioral change- it can be a little freaky. i mean- if he has a LOT of gluten in his belly and then ingests the cassein- you can literally watch him disappear into his own opiate void.

for him, we mostly avoid MILK, i'm not sure if this is a true thing, but for him, we note the protein breaks down differently in cheese, it is only when he has had milk specifically within a certain time frame of ingesting gluten- that he has very specific behavioral changes...(ok icecream with the cassein AND sugar will do it too!)
ok, so we avoid the cassein. especially if he's ingested gluten.

i want him to experience cupcakes and icecream... i try to go as organic as i can, and as gluten/cassein free as i can, but yes, he does consume gluten.
he mostly drinks water, but also drinks almond or soy.

he always ate very healthy, but then one day became very picky. he lists fish as his favorite food. and would happily eat it most days. actually he does! (i know horrible for lead and mercury i've read?)
but
he is considerably healthy, tall & nice healthy weight, also very active. i mention this because he was having horribly horrible gut issues. severe pain and then he sorta just stopped eating. i mean, everything that he had in the past, he became the fish eater. he stopped drinking milk on his own, then juices. only eats 1fruit-banana. eats sweet potato/broccoli/spinach. and all his behaviors and gut issues went away.

so my thoughts are as long as he is strong & healthy? as long as behaviors are ok? then i am okay with whatever he wants to eat.

and more to topic--- yes, every @2E child i know has gut issues, and yes, every gifted child i know also seems to have some type of sensitivity or food allergy... these moms of gifted kids tend to word it differently, they don't say outright "leaky gut" or even say "gut" but say the child is sensitive to some foods.

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller