Thanks for the responses. We do limit computer time on school days but since he has to use a computer for his homework, it is hard to police it. I have to sit right next to him to make sure he doesn't wander off to some website. I've blocked gaming sites with Norton but he could just as easily wander to something else.

He's in lots of activities: baseball, piano lessons, band, boy scouts, karate (when it's not baseball season). We probably don't spend enough one-on-one time with him but it seems like there is never time because it takes him SOOOOO LOOOONNNGGGG to do his homework and practicing. I try to get him to walk the dog every day after school but he fights it and then by the time he's agreed to do it, it's time to go. Now that my knee is getting better, maybe we need to walk the dog together.

DeHe- I'm looking at school as the problem because at least two people on this forum have brought it up, plus another friend, plus the DYS consultant. I don't think it's hormones because the behavior problems have been going on for a couple of years, at least. No, I'm not sure it is learning related; I'm just trying to figure out WHAT it is.

He's defintely putting in minimum effort. I don't think he'd like to homeschool because he does enjoy playing in the band and going to school. We haven't really talked about it recently because we've been at such loggerheads over his behavior it hasn't really seemed like an option. I don't know when he'd fit in an online course but maybe it would motivate him. I wish the school were a bit more flexible. I'm going to meet with the Gifted Director after the holiday break; after asking her to first poll the teachers and see what their opinions are. I know they all think he's "brilliant" but how that affects their teaching, I don't know.

Still searching for answers!

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers