Originally Posted by slnews2
Is it possible for a child to be accepted into classes at a center for gifted students, like CTD, and NOT be identified as gifted by his school? Child has excellent evals from CTD classes, but school says does not show ANY signs of gifted characteristics. School unaware of CTD participation.

What to do?

I can think of all sorts of reasons that a child might not be identified as gifted in early elementary. In addition to the possibilities that others have mentioned above, a teacher simply not caring to identify. Many of the children who are identified early in our district have teachers who believe in the positives of identifying gifted children and giving them enrichment, but there are some teachers who don't see the point, or think it's a hassle to have a child pulled from their classroom for enrichment or who don't want to give out differentiated work. I also think that sometimes it's difficult for parents to separate out what is "gifted" and what isn't when children are very young. EG/PG kiddos sometimes think very differently than other kids, and that's obvious to parents and teachers (if they choose to show it at school), but it's possible to have high-achieving kids who will later not land in the highly-gifted ranges who are able to achieve ahead of other kids due to exposure or developmental readiness.

I'm curious why you don't want to share the results of the testing you used to get into CTD with the school? It may be useful info to advocate with. Can you share it with us here? Or share your concerns re what might happen if you share it with the school?

polarbear