i recently moved DS6 from public kinder where he was absolutely miserable... to the districts independent study program-ISP.

i did this for various reasons:
1- the district gifted program coordinator said to keep DS in district so i could take advantage of their testing services, she actually suggested independent study& that i put him on list for testing this spring...

2-i planned to homeschool him anyhow, but thru ISP- all the books etc are provided (read: saves $$), also there is teacher support. also very important- he can still receive his Speech Services!

3-DS is able to move at his pace, and on paper he is kindergarten, but after assessing him, teacher gave him all 1st grade level work, &starting him @ middle of year in both reading/LA and math. (she thought 2nd grade, but i want to make sure he knows all the 1st requirements for testing purposes later on!)*i also want DS to start out in areas of review because his kinder teacher really did a number on him, he now thinks he is "stupid", so i want to empower him with what he does know, and have him feeling successful again, while at same time introducing some things he doesn't know.... admittedly hahaa he so far knows most everything in all the 1st gr subjects! i had NO idea he was so bright! but we are moving very quickly thru subject matter and will probably be ready for all 2nd grade material soon enough!

**my Question-
#1-has anyone else done this type of homeschool before? thru their districts ISP? how did it work out?

#2-the teacher wants ALL of his work. every math page, language arts/science etc workbook, writing assignments, etc and ALL ARTWORK-- to KEEP forever. she does not plan to return ANY of it. because he is doing 1st gr, he will be having tests (she administers) so wouldn't that qualify as her evidence?
how is this aspect handled thru your program?
*i have an issue with this in regard to his artwork, but she said i can take a picture!

#3-how did you handle course content? grading requirements? etc? the district teacher we meet with 1x/wk says i am the "teacher"- yet she will not accept anything verbally- for some things- we are discussing verbally, and this is much more indepth! i can really gauge if he has grasped the subject, and he also enjoys this, and it is also good for him (he's in Speech Therapy)... but she said she has no "proof" he did the assignment! even though I AM VERIFYING IT! my word is no good??? and even though he can discuss it with her! ?

heck, she won't even consider an outside piano class as music instruction! or kung fu & horseback riding, & hiking as PE credit! "where's my EVIDENCE?" is what she kept repeating! sorry but NO the kung fun instructor is not going to fill out a form & sign it each wk etc!

****i guess that is why true HOMEschooling is perhaps better than ISP? *sigh*

One can never consent to creep when
one feels an impulse to soar!
~Helen Keller