You are are all wonderful! Thank you so much for all your ideas. To answer some of your questions, DS missed the cut off by only a month; meaning, if he had entered as he should, he would've been one of the oldest kids in his class. So with that fact and since he was academically so advanced, it was a no brainer to put him in school early. He has always been small but then, I was always small until high school and then grew overnight to become taller than average. I hope that's the case for him.

I've asked him whether he would like to repeat 2nd grade and he was pretty ambivalent about it. He will be OK either way. Like mnmom23's kid, DS tends to adapt very quickly to whatever situation he finds himself in. He becomes very lazy if he's put in a situation where he is not challenged but does not complain of boredom; if we teach him stuff that seems way ahead of his age, he goes into an alert mode and surprises everyone by mastering it quickly. In fact, he probably would quickly catch up if we were to grade skip him again in the future. He's like a chameleon.

So... from what you guys have all said (and now I agree) it is probably a good idea to not repeat 2nd grade. I'll try to steer him toward sports that's not so height-dependent. I'll let you know how he does! Thank you!