I understand from others that 2e kids are welcome and accepted within DYS, but they do still need to hit the minimum qualifying scores. It sounds like your ds would meet that requirement. I'd definitely apply if you think that the program would help your family.

The only thing I've found a bit more difficult in dealing with my own 2e kid and applications for programs, is the letter of support from a teacher or other. For instance, when she applied for Yunasa summer camp last summer, I was hard pressed to find a teacher to write a letter saying that she is highly gifted even though her IQ scores are 99th-99.9th depending on the test. Her teachers generally recognize the high achievers with their hands in the air as the HG kids even if they have more average IQ scores more so than the social chameleons with 2e issues.

If that's an issue for you as well, you can always go with someone other than a teacher to write your ds' letter of support. The fact that he's above the minimum IQ & achievement requirements would probably make his odds pretty good if I were to guess.