I just got the written report from the tester for dd age 10. I am letting it sink in and wondering what, if anything to do with it.

FSIQ 147
GAI 163
VCI 166
PRI 139
WM 126
PS 109

These were much higher than I ever imagined they would be. She didn't hit milestones particularly early, though she was a very verbal toddler. She didn't learn to read until she was seven, though she did love to listen to long books as a toddler, and novels by age 3. Still, I never really thought in terms of "giftedness" until a DYS parent who knows my daughter suggested that she was gifted and I started reading about it. Even then, I wasn't sure if the label fit.

I think personality has played a role. She is a somewhat introverted, perfectionistic kid, so she doesn't dive into things fearlessly. She is very anxious about not being "good enough" at things, and so is uncomfortable when she is being too challenged because it seems to confirm her fear that she in inadequate. We are very relaxed homeschoolers, so this hasn't been a major problem. She has always done well with the academic work we have done, but she hasn't really taken to something and gone after it with a passion. She is a lovely, dreamy child whose favorite thing is to read fantasy or sci fi.

She claims she likes to "blend into the wallpaper" but I know that is not the whole story. She is quiet and "hides" in her choir, but then complains that the conductor doesn't seem to recognize that she always knows all the songs. She has a beautiful voice and sings ALL THE TIME around the house. (It drives us nuts!) But she says that she won't sing like that choir because it sounds too different from the way the other kids sing. But then she feels badly that she is so invisible.

And poor her, she has a super-extraverted younger brother who really is fearless. He goes to chess tournaments and is totally unfazed when he loses, and cocky as anything when he wins. It drives her to distraction when he comes home preening with a new trophy. But she would NEVER put herself out there in a competition like that. She would be too afraid of failing. And yet it makes her very unhappy not to be recognized.

I am glad we tested. One of the few things about homeschooling that I think is really hard is that you have know idea how you stack up against other kids. Well, now we know. I can see that this has already given her a huge confidence boost. (I saw the same after she tested into JHU CTY last spring, but this even more so.) We were looking at the program for her up-coming harp ensemble concert this afternoon. "One person has a solo!" she noted with horror. "I would be terrified if I had a solo!" A week ago, that would have been where that statement ended. Today, she continued. "Then again, one day I probably will have a solo, and I'll probably be okay with it!"

I'd love to hear any feedback, especially from others who have a kid who doesn't fit the typical high achiever HG pattern. Any thoughts? Things to be on the look-out for? In general she is a happy, easy-going kid. Thank goodness, she has a small group of wonderful friends who are all equally bright. But I do wonder about how to help her not hold herself back.

Thanks in advance for any in-put.