She was offered a grade skip at a different school. This school said they would assess her when she came in, while assuring us that they had it well in hand for most gifted kids. The assessment never happened and I never heard from the AG teacher.

I misspoke on the 9-10 DRA...it's 9-10 their specific to the district level (I haven't found another name listed except the county's name), and the books on their list are 3-10 DRA.

The teacher assured me, providing a couple of distinct examples, that she goes as high as the kid can. This is, apparently, as high as my kid can go. Biscuit, but at home she's reading Harry Potter and CS Lewis.

The school we can switch to next year is much lower performing. This current one is IB and has some distinct advantages...Science in K and Spanish, as well as a ton of cultural lessons. The other school offers none of that...but did mention that they would skip her. I can't even begin to describe the mess our district is in and there are many options but few valid ones...lengthy applications and the possibility to get revoked at any time and redistricted with almost no notice.

We would consider homeschooling, but only as a last resort for K. We are strongly considering it for the future.

I didn't want to have to push harder, but am thinking I may need to. My first thought was that I had badly misjudged my kid, but I have been assured by those who know her that this is not the case. But we've never had a "professional" opinion before, and she is my oldest, so I am not sure.

Last edited by mick; 11/14/12 04:08 PM.